[MlMt] Follow-up question on using Spamsieve with Mailmate

Mon Mar 31 16:42:48 EDT 2014

On 31 Mar 2014, at 21:46, Robert Anders wrote:

>> I've heard of Sieve, but although I've been managing Internet mail
>> systems since the very early 90s, I have yet to actually encounter a
>> site that actually uses it.  At least, so far as I know -- maybe they
>> use it and I don't know about it.
>
> I do. Heavily. That's the reason i'd like MM to handle many* open
> (IDLE) connections well, but MM keeps crashing on me. Daily, no,
> hourly :(

That is certainly not acceptable. I can see that you have allowed
MailMate to send 6 crash reports with r4132 (and that's out of 8
reported in total by ~130 users using r4132).

After taking a look at these crash reports I'm pretty sure that at least
5 of those 6 crashes are related to MailMate running out of so-called
file descriptors. In other words, MailMate cannot handle such a large
number of IDLE connections within system limits (and fails to handle it
gracefully).

> I really hope those crashes will be under control someday...

I'll note that I should look into making MailMate handle file descriptor
limits more gracefully.