[MlMt] Select Duplicates

Fri Jan 3 05:57:46 EST 2014

On 2 Jan 2014, at 17:59, Shawn Morris wrote:

> Is this functionality broken? When I select it in a mailbox with known
> duplicates, it seems to select nothing.  How is it determining
> duplicates?
> I assume Message-ID, but if it's trying to build some kind of tuple of
> (from,to,subject,date) i could see why that wouldn't work.  I have a
> lot of
> messages where I'm receiving copies through multiple mailing lists and
> I'm
> not able to de-duplicate on the server-side.

It's not broken, but it's a bit primitive/inflexible. It is based on
`Message-ID` *and* message size. I would actually like it to be more
strict by basing it on a message digest value to make sure the messages
are identical, but you need it to be less strict.

Using the `selectWithFilter:` custom key binding it would be possible to
make something based on `Message-ID` only. It would work differently
though:

* it would be based on the currently selected message
* it would select all messages instead of all-but-one (which is how the
menu item works to make it easy to delete duplicates without deleting
the “original”).

It's difficult to make the menu item work in a way that is suitable for
all use cases. It might make more sense to implement the necessary
“building blocks” to do this using a bundle command (2.0 feature).
(These are building blocks needed anyways.) That would allow customizing
it to behave any way you like *and* make it happen automatically using a
rule on incoming messages.