[MlMt] MailSteward

Fri Apr 25 09:19:56 EDT 2014

On 25 Apr 2014, at 2:47, Gustavo Daniel Villarreal wrote:

> On 24 Apr 2014, at 4:20, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> Internally, smart folders work just like IMAP folders. IMAP folders
>> just have fixed conditions (matching messages with a virtual header
>> specifying their server location). If you have rules specified for
>> any kind of mailbox then they should be triggered no matter what you
>> have or have not viewed in MailMate.
>
> Benny, so is there a monitor or some scheduled process continually
> executing rules in MailMate?

No, rules are simply triggered when a message is added to a mailbox
(internally a mailbox is a “live” query).

> I thought this was not possible and that rules only applied to new
> mail/moves, until I tried this rule for archiving. Before, I just did
> archiving once I reached 80% quota, but now its taking care of itself
> (MailSteward has a scheduler that runs every x hours/minutes/etc).

I fixed some problems with date-based queries not so long ago, but
otherwise this has not been changed. It's the opposite, there has been
some problem with rules being applied too often (e.g, when rebuilding
the database).

Currently, rules for a mailbox are only triggered when something is
added to the mailbox, but this is not a technical limitation. I could
easily change this to the rules being applied whenever messages in the
mailbox meet the conditions of the rules. This could be a
per-rule-option at some point, but I haven't quite decided how that
should work yet.

When I have more time I should write a bit about how the query system in
MailMate is implemented...