[MlMt] Suggested Keyboard Shortcuts

Fri Nov 15 04:17:48 EST 2013

On 14 Nov 2013, at 18:18, Will Styler wrote:

> 1) When composing, add (and select for addition) the CC/BCC/Later box.
>  Ideally, such shortcuts would display the field if hidden, and select
> them for entry if visible	.

Noted (I also have some other ideas for changes to how this works, but
I'll keep shortcuts in mind as well). The current non-mouse way is to
use ⌃⌘H to open the headers menu, but I guess you already found that
(or made your own shortcut for the keybinding).

> 2) I'd love to be able to hide/show the mailboxes sidebar with a
> single key (e.g. "b"), but this isn't configurable using the OSX
> keyboard panel.  Would a hook within the app be possible?

It's not currently possible, but it's not impossible to implement :-) It
would likely be `toggleView:` with an argument like done for
`makeFirstResponder:`.

> 3) Similarly, I'd love to be able to show and hide message view with a
> single key.

This would also work with the feature above.

> Another way to approach this would be to have a mutt layout, where the
> message view is hidden ("index") until a message is selected and then
> "enter", at which point the message view shows up.

The enter key is currently reserved for opening a separate window (a
tradition from other email clients). But actually I think it can be
overridden since it's one of the default custom key bindings:

	"\U000A" = "openMessages:";          // Return
	"\U000D" = "openMessages:";          // Enter

If `toggleView:` was implemented then you could do:

	"\U000A" = ("toggleView:", "messageView");
	"\U000D" = ("toggleView:", "messageView");

But I'm not sure how well it works in practice to hide/show as part of
the workflow. It was implemented with more rare usage in mind. I guess
we'll find out if I implement `toggleView:`.

> 4) Filter by attribute.  Right now, if I use the filter key, it starts
> me off filtering by "From" with the entry box selected, which is well
> and good, but requires significant mousing to set criteria.  I'd love
> the ability to set something like:

This is on the todo although not quite as described. Some of it is
implemented, but it wasn't quite as trivial to do as I first thought. I
would also like to add that if a word is selected in the message view
then it is automatically used as the default word for the search.

> None of these are crucial, and you've already got my money (I'm really
> rooting for IndieGogo), but as you're working on 2.x, those would be
> great to consider.

Thanks. I'll keep your suggestions in mind.